City Walls Piran
approx. 60 m.a.s.l.
Parish Church of St. Yuri
approx. 30 m.a.s.l.
Opens the navigation on your smartphone.
To this day, the city walls of Piran are preserved in its medieval shape. In the 10th century, a fort was built above the oldest quarter of Piran, Punta, where the townsfolk withdrew during the period of danger. Due to the build-up of the entire peninsula, the city of Piran could spread only in the direction of the mainland and consisted of the four city parts; Miljska, Stolnica, Misana, and Grad, which were protected by the walls very early. The oldest part of the wall is by the sea, while the construction on the other side of the wall coincided with the expansion of the city.
The accelerated development of the city took place in the 13th century when Piran came under the Venetian rule. At that time, the city walls expand to the extent that it protected the fourth quarter of Campo, which was also an inner port. The Venetian republic’s rule lasted nearly 500 years. The youngest part of the wall, along with defensive towers, is on the southeastern side of the city and was built over the period from 1470 to 1533. It was built at the time when the city was threatened by Turkish invasions, so an additional part of the wall also protected the coastal part of town, Marciano. With this addition to the city walls, the whole city was closed. A completely preserved part of the wall once had three city doors. The tallest were the door of St. Nikolai. The Rasporška door and Marciana door still today. The town and the state take care of the walls. Repairs were made several times. Most in the second half of the last century, and later mostly between the years ’02 and ’08. With the intervention and renovation, the security of visitors is taken care of.
The parish church of Sv. Yuri’s
Historical sources confirm the existence of the parish church in the 10th century. Architectural fragments date from the 10th to 12th century. In 1344 a restored Trinidad Gothic church replaced the old Basilic architecture of the Aquileian type. Today’s style was achieved after the renovation, which was long-lasting and took place between 1595 and 1673, with a renewed consecration in 25.4.1637, despite only a partial part of the renovation was done. A new bell towers copied style of Venetian Renaissance bell tower of St. Mark. The hill on which the church stands is hardened with supporting walls, which are added in different periods between the 16th and 19th centuries. The walls by the seashore are very prone to the erosion today. The church is built in the form of a temple, with details from the Rovinj stone. The facade was designed by an unknown master, and it was made by Venetian stonecutter Bonfante Torre in the early 17th century. As an example to the workmanship, the motif was from the manual of Cesar Cesarian, Bramante’s disciple. Along the large rectangular portal, there are one large window with a triangular forehead and a forged mesh on each wall and an inscription plaque on both consecrations dating from 1344 and 1637.