Castle Kamen (Castle Stein)
Castle Castle Kamen was built in the 12th century by Counts of Ortenburg. It is located in the valley of Draga, surrounded by beautiful nature and Slovenian mountains (from here you continue to Roblekov dom and Begunjščica).
The first unofficial mention of the fort dates back to 1145, and the first official mentioning dates back to 1263 (castrum Lapis).
The Castle Kamen in its beginnings represented an important, fortified post, built to protect trade path Prevala to Carinthia. In the name of the Counts of Ortenburg, the castle was run by Castellanes and the Stainerji-Kamenski ministries.
From the year 1327 until 1343, count Geiselher from Begunje is mentioned as an owner as well. After the extinction of Ortenburg family, in 1418, the estate was owned by the Counts of Celje. According to Janez Vajkard Valvasor (Chronicle of the Counts of Celje), in 1428, one of the last counts, Count Herman III of Celje, died when he fell from a horse.
Castle Kamen reaches its climax in the second half of the 15th century. In 1459 the brothers Seebacher (Vofgang and Frederik) sold it to Kreis, and in 1469 Kreis passed into the hands of the Lamberger family when Yuri II. noble Lamberg bought it.
In 1476 Emperor Frederick III gave it to the noble Frederick Jakob of Lambergers. In 1553 the castle Kamen received renovations and the Lamberger family took care of the fort for more than 300 years. In the second half of the 18th century, more precisely in 1763 (according to some sources in the year 1777), when the castle Kamen lost its defensive role, the family of Lamberg finally abandoned it.
Part of the manor, such as windows, doors, etc., was used for the restoration of the castle Katzenstein, while the brick’s been transferred by the villagers in the folk chain (transfer from hand to hand) to the parish church of St. Urh in Begunje. The same applies to part of the equipment from the abandoned castle chapel of St. Valentine.
Later, the castle is left to ruin, and today’s ruins are quite dangerous, so instructions that warn of danger must be respected. Partial renovation happened in 1959 when repairs were made in the frames of monumental and protective works, but today it is safe to visit only a part of this once important fortress. In the extreme left part (in the picture with the roof) stands Romanesque tower, built in the 12th century. In the 14th century, the so-called Gothic palaces were built on the lower part and had four floors.
After the great earthquake, which occurred in 1511, parts of the fort were merged, and at that time it got a Renaissance look. The beginnings of the Baroque era brought the terraced gardens at the foot of the mansion, and the outbuilding was built.
GPS NAVIGATION - Starting point Click to open navigation on mobile device.
The most famous in the family was Gašper Lambergar, who was famous for his many victories in the tournament battles. About 85 of them, and the popular song “Pegam and Lambergar” was written to celebrate his victories.
© Author: Text, photo and video: