Huawei P20 Pro
Huawei P20 Pro has good looks, Gorilla Glass combined with metal, small bezels and big, bright screen, but most of all, fantastic camera.
Huawei P20 Pro
It was January 2014 when I first heard about company Huawei. I honestly think I was not the only one in Slovenia who never heard for his company back then.
Huawei was not well known as a smartphone brand. If anything, it was known as a brand, that mostly made low-to-medium-cost smartphones and if you needed something to replace your broken Samsung, and were on a budget, you could get a brand new phone for as low as 100-150€ without any contracts or additional costs.
My first Huawei – Ascend P6.
I could not stop thinking how can such a great smartphone come so cheap. I knew it was not as fantastic and talked about as, for example, iPhone or Samsung, but even back then Huawei made quite nice smartphones. And far from »low-quality« but at silly low prices.
Today I actually think they knew what they were doing and they had a goal. It was, in my personal opinion, well-calculated marketing approach to get under the skin of many users, before they come and face the biggest players on the market with a product that will be a masterpiece.
Soon after buying 150€ worth brand-new smartphone, I noticed that it can do just about anything as much more expensive competitors. I got »huaweied« (hooked) immediately
What a nice (low-cost) phone Ascend was.
Almost two years later I went to the competitor. As an avid hiker and amateur photography enthusiast, I wanted to get myself something, that has a punch of an average digital camera (not exactly DSLR, but you know what I mean) and in 2016 competitors made some great improvements that convinced me… I became an LG SMARTPHONE user.
Huawei P20 Pro – Really good smartphone
As mentioned above, I was searching for as high quality of a smartphone camera as possible, with the quality-price ratio (sadly) being my criteria. The competition offered a lot. When you are interested in something as “aperture” or maybe “wide angle”, “custom iso” and “custom shutter speed” etc., you look for specific smartphones. I remain an LG user to this day, but I also use Huawei P20pro. It is simply beautiful and powerful smartphone.
Later on, a smartphone with these specifications arrived: Triple 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF, 20 MP B/W, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/2.7″, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF, 8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 3x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF. It is a Huawei P20 Pro A new, improved, brilliant smartphone. 40MP rear camera with 3x optical zoom on a smartphone! Beautiful!
If your interest is in photography, there’s a good chance Huawei P20 Pro will be your love at first and second sight. First when you see it, second when you test the camera. With three cameras on the back, a 40MP main sensor with a 3x zoom, a 20MP black and white and 8MP camera. Nice! And low-light conditions… Wow. Could you ever believe that standard night shooting results with a smartphone will be compared to a DSLR? Leica optics was the best possible cooperation idea for creating an amazing smartphone camera, while Huawei gave their best in creating this nice piece of technological equipment.
It’s worth to mention high-resolution front camera with 24MP for truly detailed selfies.
Huawei P20 Pro looks attractive and is built well. Gorilla Glass and aluminum, small bezels and really big, bright screen with 1080*2240 resolution. At first glance, you may find Huawei fragile, but it is quite durable.
What about some not-so-good?
- Personally, I do not like the top of the screen. The “tab” for the speaker and the front camera does not convince me. I know it is 2018 Style.
- The fingerprint sensor should be placed on the back of the phone.
- I wouldn’t remove the 3.5 mm connector because it is still useful. The competition made the 3.5mm jack even more interesting by adding a very functional DAC to the phone.
- Slightly low peak density – 408 ppi, (overall screen quality is excellent).
The smartphone is IP67 water resistant and can handle the depth of one meter (freshwater) for 30 minutes, which I would not test, less count on. For me, IP67 water resistance means it is useful when caught in the rain or accidentally dropping the phone into water.
Of course, other useful solutions are also available, such as face unlock, NFC, phone optimization tool with virus protection etc.
TIP: I would consider using a screen protector and not the cheapest one.
Huawei P20pro specifications
- Network GSM / HSPA / LTE
- Messages SMS, MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Dimensions 155 x 73.9 x 7.8 mm
- Weight 180 g (6.35 oz)
- Body Front glass / Back aluminium
- SIM Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Protection IP67 dust/water (1m for 30 mins)
- Screen AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 6.1 inches, 93.9 cm2 (~82.0% screen-body ratio)
Resolution 1080 x 2240 pixels, 18.7:9 razmerje (~408 ppi density)
- User interface EMUI 8.1
- OS Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Chipset Hisilicon Kirin 970 (10 nm)
- CPU Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU Mali-G72 MP12
- Memory Slot No
- Versions: 256 GB8 GB RAM or 128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- Camera Leica optics, LED flash, HDR, panorama, Triple 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″,
OIS, PDAF/Laser AF, 20 MP B/W, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/2.7″, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF, 8 MP, f/2.4,
80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 3x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
- Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps
- Front Camera Leica optics 24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide)
- 3.5mm jack No
- Connectivity WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth 4.2,
A2DP, LE, EDR, aptX HD, USB 3.1 Type C
- GPS Yes, z A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC Yes
- Battery Li-Po 4000 mAh
- Other features Fingerprint sensor (front), accelerometer,
gyro, proximity, compass, color spectrum,